sexta-feira, 2 de setembro de 2011

Why so intolerant?

There are three things in the world that get on nerves so bad that I have to count to 1000 just to keep myself under my own grip. Those are: people trying to convert me using the argument: “my religion is the correct path to heavens”, people who are too lazy to study anything, and those who do not agree with gay marriage. I live in Brazil and as every nice citizen should feel, I felt extremely proud of my country when on May 05th the legal union for homosexual couples was allowed. What I heard from people, however, is that such a thing should have never been allowed, and such a thing was an “abomination” to “God”. Then, full with indignation, I decided to write a post on this controversial theme showing some of the reasons why every person who considers himself or herself a RATIONAL being should agree with gay marriage despite of his or her religious background. First, marriage itself is not religious but a social institution. Christianity has indeed preached for years that only men and women have the right to wed, but what most people forget is that there are many other groups out there that are not Christian and they want to have the same rights as anybody else! And for all those who think that marriage among homosexuals should not be allowed based on the “fact” that the bible condemns it , I’m sorry but I have some news for you: our country is not under a theocratic regimen, but under a democracy. And to all those religious simpletons who were raised in a church and think they know the bible just because they have read it once: people are not obligated to live under the rules of a book they don’t even believe in! I wonder how they would like if a Buddhist told them that Christian couples can’t get married just because Buddha said so! (No offences to the Buddhists, I just used them to represent any religion other than any bible-oriented ones) Another “argument” that aggravates me is when people say: “I don’t agree with gay marriage because I wouldn’t like to see two men kissing in a public place”, or, “I don’t support gay marriage because I’m afraid of what will become of our children”. To all those who feel offended when they see two men or two girls kissing when they only want to show AFFECTION, you should simply stop staring at them and let them be happy! Why is it that people have to meddle with other people’s business? If you feel so bad when you see a gay couple kissing, imagine how much worse they feel when they want to say “ I love you” to the person they love and they simply CAN’T or when they see other (straight ) couples are kissing and they can’t do the same! Now here comes the question: why can straight people show affection and gay people can’t if they both pay the same amount of taxes and they both contribute to the development of our society just as much? All in all, what I’m trying to get across is: let other people be happy and do never try to impose your religious view on other people because I’m sure that you wouldn’t like if they did the same to you! I am not much a religious person myself, but I do reckon that the bible, as any other religious book, has many nice messages that are indeed worthy learning and following and one that I think is interesting is this one that is on Matthew 7: 12, it goes like this: “ (..) In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets”. For those who might have problems understanding what is written here, I guess that this message applies in our context in the sense that we should not try to take away other people’s right to be and live their lives whichever way they want because we would not enjoy if they did the same to us.

7 comentários:

  1. I liked the text so much, and I guess you're very right, all we have the same rights, why do not make them work?!What some people need is ashamed!
    =]

    ResponderExcluir
  2. We are all equals, we must have the same rights, that's obvious, the problem is that straight people can't see it =/
    Your Blog is great, loved it [=

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Thanks for speaking up! I'm really proud of you!

    ResponderExcluir
  4. Thiago, I don't think that the problem is straight people, but rather all the ideology that was constructed around what it means to be "gay" and what it means to be a Christian.

    ResponderExcluir
  5. Danilo, I appreciate the energy that you use to defend your point, and I agree gay marriage should not be a problem to people. But I'll confess the way you speak about christianism hurts me a little bit. I believe both in Jesus and equal rights and I don't see it as a contradiction but as a communion of ideas. The bible, as you said, was written a long time ago, so it's not easy to interpret its messages. It would depend on the context of that time, etc. The prove is we have read it for more than 2 thousand years and we still don't get it! I agree we have to fight for respect and equality, but we need to return the intolerance with patience and not with more intolerance. Btw, I'll follow your blog! Nice writing.=]

    ResponderExcluir
  6. Well, I don't think that I'm being intolerant in my essay. It's just I believe there are things that can not be tolerated at all. For example, is it okay for me to be prejudiced against blacks? I don't think so. Nor is it okay for religious groups to be prejudiced against gays or whatever other groups they please. As I said in one of my comments: I'm not attacking religion itself, but the individuals who are part of so-called religious groups and don't act as such. Sorry if I somehow offended anybody.

    ResponderExcluir
  7. Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.

    ResponderExcluir

Tags 3

Pages - Menu

Tags 4

Popular posts

Seguidores

About Me

Minha foto
Just an ESL teacher who might make some difference in this world... A world that is already plagued with indiference, prejudice and all sorts of bad things... Anyway, I hope you enjoy this blog and what it's got to offer.

Blogger templates

Tags 2

Tags 1