terça-feira, 17 de agosto de 2010

My first days in Alabama

Everything started just as it should start. I arrived in Atlanta at about 6.30 am in the morning (listening to “I want it all”), missed my flight to Birmingham, had to wait three hours for the next plane to take off and finally got in Gadsden by noon. As soon as I arrived I met some friends who were waiting me so that they could help me buy everything I would need for my stay in a supermarket near our house.
I must confess that for the first time in my life I felt like a housewife. I had to buy one microwave oven, one refrigerator, a lap top (which I’m using now), bedding items, higiene products besides food.
The same day I got to meet Manoel, who is a Brasilian student from Universidade Federal de Goias, Ana Paula, another girl whose name I don’t remember, and the most lovely American couple I have ever met : Brian and Melissa. As it was Melissa`s birthday, we went out to a restaurant in Birmingham where we could have some sea food; I had mozarela sticks, though. By the way, Brian is learning Portuguese and I had to listen to him singing Victor e Leo during all our trip to Birmingham, which was hilarious.
The following day was Sunday and I went to church with Ana Paula, Brian and Melissa. The church was very beautiful and everybody seemed really friendly there.During the church meeting I also got to meet a girl who`s having her masters in ESL (English as a second language).
Yesterday was a nice day. I went to the Office of Finacial Aid to pay for my dorm stay, I went to the International Student Office where I could talk to Doctor Paula Ross and Misses Ginger about the forms I would have to fill in so that I could buy my health insurance, and I went to a supermarket so as to buy a chapstick. By the way, yesterday I could see my little dog “Lilika” by the web cam…. I soooo miss her.
Well guys, that’s it by now. Today I will take a placement test and will talk to Doctor Hill (who is my school adviser) so that I can enroll myself in the subjects I will take. Bye Bye
PS : Here are some curiosities about Alabama I would like to share.
• The weather here is really hot and humid!!! I have never seen something like that in Brazil! (and this wasn’t a hiperbole)
• I realized I just can`t speak English …
• My friends are basically Brasilian, Korean and Indian.
Should there be any mistakes in spelling or grammar, just let me know it. I’m not used to writing with this lap top yet and I’m always writing in a hurry so it’s okay if I don’t write everything write…ops ,right ( kidding) .

3 comentários:

  1. Full day, huh? I'm totally impressed by the amount of things you bought in your very first day! Where did you get all this money from? Just kidding!

    It looks like you're having a great time! And I'd really love to have Korean friends, 'cause I love their pop music!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Nice news dude, you're having a good time, aren't you?!
    Congrats for the blog, it's cool! And tell me, how was things on embassy, airports, etc, it was all fine and calm?

    Keep posting news and your experiences there, hugs!!

    ResponderExcluir
  3. What? You CAN'T speak English? I thought it was the only language you could speak! :OOOOOOOOOO

    ResponderExcluir

Tags 3

Pages - Menu

Tags 4

Popular posts

Seguidores

About Me

Minha foto
Just an ESL teacher who might make some difference in this world... A world that is already plagued with indiference, prejudice and all sorts of bad things... Anyway, I hope you enjoy this blog and what it's got to offer.

Blogger templates

Tags 2

Tags 1